Translate

Monday 2 February 2015

Small ways to cheer yourself up

No matter how great your life is, or how naturally happy you are, I feel like everyone has days where they don't want to get out of bed. I personally have been feeling like this A LOT recently and there's little ways I cheer myself up, even if it is just momentarily. 


  1. Dance
    - Genuinely, my friend told me this a few years ago, Whenever I felt a bit apathetic or lacking in energy she would put music on full blast and just dance around with me for the duration of the song. Instantly I would feel much better about everything and motivated to get on with the day. If you just let yourself go a bit crazy you'll surprise yourself with how much better you can feel. 


  2. Go on a walk (with no time restrictions)
    - It looks like I'm trying to just get you fit but exercise does make you feel better...
    For me, I walk my dogs around the field where I live. The walk can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and it benefits both me and my four legged friends. Sometimes, if you're feeling like you're doing nothing productive just leaving the house for a bit makes you feel accomplished. Walks are a good time to get your thoughts together, or just to listen to your music for a little bit. Ignore all social media and just enjoy the outside world.

  3. Create something (A meal, baking, loom bands, a new playlist... anything)
    -Now, this doesn't mean you have to be a talented carpenter or fabulous seamstress. Creating something can be as simple as putting a few ingredients together and making your family/friends dinner. You might think that coming in from a long day and creating something is unappealing but it's important not you let yourself get into a rut. You'll hopefully feel a little more proud of yourself after doing this. 


  4.  Re-watch something you know you love
    -For me, I re-watch Disney movies, Clueless, 10 things I hate about you, The Office (US), Gilmore Girls and Friends. You get the gist. Movies and TV shows that have made you smile before are probably going to make you smile again.
    - The same applies so a book you have loved (I have read the entire Harry Potter series 4 times and it still makes me happy). As Oscar Wilde said 'If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all'. 



  5. Put on a happy playlist
    -You can find pre-made playlists of happy songs on Spotify and Youtube, or you can create your own. It's no secret that songs that make you love can put you in a better mood. So, take a little time and create your perfect cheer up playlist.
    -Hint:'That Old Pair of Jeans' always makes me want to boogie, put on FatBoy Slim's Hula Hooping video and enjoy.
     

  6. Chill the fudge out
    -Run yourself a bath. Make it a bubble bath. Put on some candles, put on your happy playlist (away from the bathtub, please don't put any electrical devices near the tub or this could all be very counterproductive), and just relax. If you're like me and get bored after ten minutes of this, bring a book or a magazine. 


  7. Let yourself have the 'I don't want to get up today' day
    -Sometimes you just need to put everything off and stay in bed, eating junk and watching movies. Allow yourself to feel whatever it is your feeling. Just let yourself sleep in til 12pm and ignore the stresses of life. You do you. 







No comments:

Post a Comment